Non-native or native teacher?

Number of replies: 118
Who is better equipped to teach pronunciation - a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners or a native English teacher who does not? Upon which factors might your answer depend?
In reply to First post

Re: Non-native or native teacher?

by Lương Thị Lê 053 -
English as a second language (ESL) or English as a foreign language (EFL) teachers can understand their students’
speech ; in fact, it sometimes seems that we teachers can understand practically anything. We’re used to inaccurate pronunciation. We know what students
are going through and how hard they’re trying.
It's might depend on accuracy and fluency.
In reply to Lương Thị Lê 053

by Le Thi Ky 083 -
English as a second language. a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners can understand their students' speech. We’re used to inaccurate pronunciation. We know what students
In reply to Le Thi Ky 083

by Nguyễn Thị Hải 087 -
yes. I agree that a non- native teacher can understand all difficulties that her students have during learning a language.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hải 087 -
In my opinion, both native English teachers and non-native English teachers are well- equipped to teach pronunciation. . It’s fair to say that a native teacher, who is highly qualified and experienced, can help students improve all language skills, especially speaking skill. Whereas a non- native teachers ,who learnt English from the same language as her students, knows what they will struggle with .so she will find out different methods to teach them effectively. I believe that a non- native teacher with good teaching skills will teach pronunciation as well as a native teacher does.
In reply to First post

by Ngo Thi Hoai 009 -
I think that both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and the habit to pronounce.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Khánh Hoà 047 -
I think It depends on a person. On the one hand some non-native teachers have better knowledge of grammatical base of the language than native ones. But on the other hand native speakers can provide with better speaking skills.
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Van 063 -
The reality is that it all depends on the individual. I think it’s fair to say that a native speaker, who is highly qualified and experienced, who speaks the mother tongue of their student(s), is the best-case scenario, in terms of what a student wants.
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Van 063 -
In my opinion, a native English teacher is better equipped to teach pronunciation. Because after watching the video and reading the materials, I find that a naative English teacher is more affective on teaching pronunciation than a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners .
In reply to First post

by Pham Thi Huong Sen 073 -
In my experience, both of them are eqipped to teach pronunciation well. It might depend on teaching experience, accuracy and fluency.
In reply to First post

by Hoàng Thị Phương Thuỷ 022 -
I assume that it is a native English teacher. This is simply due to the fact that natives have good accent and intonation so when student listen repeatly, they are able to mimic, imitate accurately.Therefore, they will speak fluently and correctly
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hạnh 040 -
I believe that native teachers can offer a more complete teaching, because they have a greater knowledge of vocabulary and structural grammars. For example, in English, native speakers know correctly how to use phrasal verbs, which are very complex to use.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Hoai 027 -
In my opinion, Both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and pronounce exactly!
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Thanh 016 -
In my opinion, both native and non-native teachers are well equipped to teach pronunciation.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Hoà 038 -
In my opinion, both native English teachers and non-native English teachers are well- equipped to teach pronunciation. . It’s fair to say that a native teacher, who is highly qualified and experienced, can help students improve all language skills, especially speaking skill. Whereas a non- native teachers ,who learnt English from the same language as her students, knows what they will struggle with .so she will find out different methods to teach them effectively. I believe that a non- native teacher with good teaching skills will teach pronunciation as well as a native teacher does.
In reply to Trần Thị Hoà 038

by Trần Quốc Nhâm 052 -
Theo tôi nghĩ, cả giáo viên bản ngữ và giáo viên tiếng Anh không phải bản ngữ đều được trang bị tốt để dạy phát âm. . Công bằng mà nói, một giáo viên bản ngữ có trình độ chuyên môn cao và giàu kinh nghiệm có thể giúp học sinh cải thiện tất cả các kỹ năng ngôn ngữ, đặc biệt là kỹ năng nói. Trong khi đó, một giáo viên không phải là người bản ngữ, những người đã học tiếng Anh từ cùng một ngôn ngữ với học sinh của cô ấy, biết họ sẽ gặp khó khăn gì. Vì vậy, cô ấy sẽ tìm ra những phương pháp khác nhau để dạy họ một cách hiệu quả. Tôi tin rằng một giáo viên không phải bản ngữ có kỹ năng giảng dạy tốt sẽ dạy cách phát âm tốt như giáo viên bản ngữ song trong cách dạy ngữ âm thì giáo viên bản ngữ có lợi thế hơn là phát âm đúng giọng hơn giáo viên không bản ngữ còn cách dạy thì giáo viên không bản ngữ sẽ hiểu học sinh mình đang dạy hơn và sẽ có các phương pháp thực tế để dạy và học sinh sẽ hiểu và phát âm đươc có phải vậy không các đồng nghiệp ? xin trân trọng cảm ơn các thầy cô.
In reply to First post

by Hoang Thi Lam 031 -
In my opinion, both non-native and native English teacher have advantages and disadvantages in teaching prounciation.
Firstly, as a native teacher who spent a lot of years in teaching pronunciation, I absolutely benefited from the preference that many English learners have to learn from a native teacher. And it's not always just because native teachers have mastered the language. Besides, there's also sometimes a perception that non-native teachers use more outdated methods. This may stem from experiences with uninspired teachers in school using traditional methods.
Secondly, the obvious advantage of having native teachers is that they know the language. They can speak fluently, but more than that, they are usually able to model its use in a particularly natural way , of course they can easily find your mispronuncition such as: stress, intonation, rhythm...While non-native teachers know the chalenges students will face beacuse they have already faced. For me non-native teachers prepare for their lesson carefully.
Finally, pronunciation of words includes the way words and if non-native teachers own native accent is very different from native English, it could affect students level of English speaking and pronuncition skills so It is ver important that both native and non-native teachers is clear in order to get high score in speaking tests.
In reply to First post

by Dao Thi Ngoc Thuy 066 -
I think both of them because a non-native who are trained to teach the students how to pronounce. he understands the difficulties that his students have to deal with in the teaching and learning process whereas a native teacher who are knowledgeable of their language so it is easier for them to teach pronunciation.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Nguyệt 061 -
In my opinion, both native English teachers and non-native English teachers are well-equipped to teach pronunciation but native teacher will have more advantages and easier to teach their students.
In reply to First post

by Chu Sỹ Anh 028 -
I think that a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners is better because he can understand their students' difficulties. but a native English teacher's pronunciation is better
In reply to First post

by Chu Thị Thanh Thủy 037 -
I think both of them are equipped to teach pronunciation well. It might depend on their teaching experience, accuracy and fluency.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 026 -
I think that both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and the habit to pronounce.
In reply to First post

by nguyễn thị thanh Loan 029 -
In my opinion, both of them have their own advantages of teaching pronunciation.
As for a non-native teacher, he/she knows the differences between first language (L1) and second language (L2) so he/she can help their students to notice sounds in L1 that do not exist in L2 more quickly than a native teacher, for example. Sometimes, students need to be explained principles or rules in pronunciation in their L1 which a native teacher cannot.
However, a native teacher have perfect performance of showing tunes, intonation which a non-native teacher is hardly to master.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị May 014 -
in my opinion , when we study about pronunciation we should to study with a non - native teacher because the teacher will know how to pronounce and practise , where to place the stresses...
In reply to First post

by Ông Thị Thúy Hiền 020 -
I think a native English teacher,sometimes called a native English speaking teacher and abbreviated nest, is an English teacher whose the first language is English
In reply to First post

by Trần thị hoà 019 -
To my point of view, both native teachers and non-native teachers are well-equipped to teach pronunciation.when it comes to the native ones, because they come from contries where english is their mother tounge, they will have better accents and can train the students to speak more fluently and better and even to have the same accent as the English or the American.on the other hand,non-native teachers will be the best one to understand the students' difficulties and help them to overcome easily.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn văn Thành 089 -
I think that both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well.
In reply to First post

by nguyễn thị thanh Loan 029 -
I think that both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and the habit to pronounce in teaching E
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 099 -
I think both non-native teacher and native teacher are better equipped to teach pronunciation. A native teacher is highly appreciated for her rich knowledge and accurate pronunciation but she doesn't grasp the culture of learner. Whereas a non- native teacher who can understand the dificulties of learners.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Hồng Hong 010 -
In my opinion, both native English teachers and non-native English teachers are well-equipped to teach pronunciation. . It’s fair to say that a native teacher, who is highly qualified and experienced, can help students improve all language skills, especially speaking skills. Whereas non-native teachers, who learned English from the same language as their students, know what they will struggle with .so she will find out different methods to tea I believe that a non-native teacher with good teaching skills will teach pronunciation, as well as a native teacher.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hồng Thuý 005 -
A native teacher.
A native teacher will teach phonics better than a non-native teacher. But non-native teachers know how to guide their students to overcome difficulties in pronunciation
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Huệ 098 -
Personally, I believe that native teachers are good at teaching pronunciation because they understand and pronounce accurately all the sounds that non-native speakers find it difficult.
In reply to First post

by Hồ Thị Thương 051 -
English as a second language (ESL) or English as a foreign language (EFL) teachers can understand their students’
speech ; in fact, it sometimes seems that we teachers can understand practically anything. We’re used to inaccurate pronunciation. We know what students
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Loc 093 -
A native teacher is better equipped to teach pronunciation.
In my opinion, I agree that a non- native teacher can understand all difficulties that her students have during learning a language
In reply to First post

by Phạm Thị Nguyệt 097 -
In my opinion, Both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and pronounce exactly. in addition, they have a greater knowledge of vocabulary and structural grammars.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Mai 011 -
Both native and non-native teacher can teach pronuciation but to be better I think it's native one . They know how to pronounce correctly and the students can imitate their accent, their intonation that makes their pronunciation better.
In reply to First post

by Phan Thi Trang 023 -
In my opinion, I think both non-native and native teacher have own advanages in teaching pronunciation. Native speaker who is a expert in pronuncition will have good way to teach students to pronouce exactly. Thanks to that, they can practice fluently and their pronunciation is better and accuracy. On the other hand, if the teacher is a non-native speaker who speaks mother language of her leaners, she can be easy to understand their difficulties in pronunciation. Thanks to that, she will have good method for them to pronouce more exactly. In conclusion, each person has her own advatages and methods to teach pronunciation for their leaners.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Bích Phương 030 -
Actually, a ‘native speaker’ is the ideal pronunciation model. Native speakers seem to teach how to pronounce more correctly and naturally. They are easier to find out which words or which sound students often have difficulty in pronouncing and correct them timely. Although non-native teachers can be trained to teach pronunciation and they can clearly understand the first language of their learners, they have little experience in English - speaking environment as native teachers. Therefore, their pronunciation can't be as natural and exact as native speakers.
In reply to First post

by Đoàn Công Lý 090 -
For me, both of them are well equipped to teach pronunciation. Dialect might effect this
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Thuy Dung 021 -
In my opinion, both native teachers and non-native ones have own advantages to teach pronunciation well but native teachers are still better. Native teacher is considered as a master in using language so absolutely they 'll guide their learners to pronounce correctly and naturally.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Hai Yen 068 -
I will go for non-native speakers
Having learnt English from the same language as your students means that you already know what they will struggle with and what will make more sense to them. If you were to go on a long and treacherous journey would you rather have a guide who had the map, or the guide who not only had the map but had done it before?
A native didn’t have to put any effort into their acquisition of English. Their language expertise slipped into their skillset subtly and unnoticed. Monolingual speakers have little or no experience of what it actually means to learn a language. They never struggled over pronunciation or those bizarre phrasal verbs which litter the English language and make no sense at all.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Quyen 096 -
in my opinion, native teachers have more advantages than non- native ones. their voice, tongue, pronunciation is better
In reply to First post

by Ha Thi Hai Van 070 -
Obviously, native teacher has more advantages of pronunciation than non- native teacher. However, If a non - native teacher who is well educated, has experience ....can teach pronunciation well.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thị Hong Tam 082 -
I think that native speaker is better at teaching pronunciation because of the following reasons:
Firstly, He has the ideal pronunciation model.
Secondly, The way he teaches pronunciation is the mixture of the various techniques such as standing up, speaking out, and joining the movement.
Lastly, the students are much more likely to interact with native speaker excitedly and effectively.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thuỷ 086 -
In my opinion, it would be better equipped to be taught by a native speaker. But to satisfy this condition is not easy for some certain reasons. So a non-native teacher can be acceptable providing that the teacher is a well-trained learner. I mean a non- native teacher with accuracy and fluency is also a good choice.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Ngoc Nhung 004 -
In my opinion, Both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge, pronounce and structural grammars.For example, native teacher know correctly how to use phrasal verbs, which are very comllete to use.
In reply to First post

Trả lời: Non-native or native teacher?

by Trần Chí Hoàng 077 -
Native teacher maybe pronounce better than non-native teacher but it depends on many ways: such as teacher, student,... manything.
In reply to Trần Chí Hoàng 077

Re: Trả lời: Non-native or native teacher?

by Nguyen Thi Thuy 084 -
I think that the native teacher is better in pronunciation
In reply to First post

by Trương Thị Chuyên 094 -
Absolutely, a native teacher can do it better than a non- one because she was born in the country where she was bathed in the language when she was small so she know how to pronounce the wowds fluently and exactly
In reply to First post

by Trịnh Thị Mai Dung 042 -
A non- native teacher because he/ she can understand difficulties that her/ his students have during learning a language.
In reply to First post

by Đường Hải Dung 072 -
I think non-native teachers who speak their mother tongue languages are not as good as native teachers
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thảo 067 -
I think both Non-native or native teacher can teach students how to pronounce a word.Both of them are well- equipped to teach pronunciation.however native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge, pronounce and structural grammars.
In reply to First post

by Xa Thi Xuan 100 -
I think a native teacher's pronunciation is better than a non native teacher. Because native teacher has highly qualified, experienced in speaking and leaning language as mother tongue.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Thu Hien 080 -
In my opinion, a non native teacher has more advantages. Because she can understand his/ her learners. She has known the problems when she learnt English. So she will have suitable method to teach his/her learners. Non- native teacher has knowledges about learners's culture
In reply to First post

by NGUYỄN THỊ MINH HẢI 017 -
I think both of them are equipped to teach pronunciation well. It might depend on their teaching experience, accuracy and fluency.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Hoai Thanh 064 -
In my opinion, both a native teacher and a non-native teacher are equipped to teach pronouciation well. However, native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and the habit to pronounce.
In reply to First post

by Phạm Thị Thanh Sương 075 -
In my opinion, a non native teacher is better teacher of EFL. Because they are a person that has learned English fluently, they embody the success that their students are looking for. They can share the same first language and cultural background with their students. While considered to have lower English language proficiency and lower self-confidence compared to native teachers, non native teachers who have made the effort to become quality teachers can position themselves as ideal English teachers in their own environment.
In reply to First post

by Lê Thị Thu 069 -
In my point of view, both non-native and native teachers can teach pronunciation well. The native teachers have more advantages as they are native speakers and English is their first language. They have ability to speak English fluently and pronounce the words correctly. However, they will deal with some difficulties when teaching English pronunciation for students because of the students’ level and sometimes they can’t understand what the students are struggling for as they don’t know the students’ language.
It is easy to see that the difficulties of a native teacher will be solved easily by a non-native teacher. A non-native teacher who speaks the same language as the students knows exactly what she/ he can do to teach the students effectively. However, not all of the non-native teachers have good pronunciation so teaching the wrong ways to pronounce the words is unavoidable.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Hoài Thu 078 -
a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners
In reply to Trần Thị Hoài Thu 078

by Trần Thị Hoài Thu 078 -

I think that a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners is better equipped to teach pronunciation  because he or she can understand what they expresss in all lesson

In reply to First post

by Bùi Văn Như 035 -
Native teachers have more advantages than non- native ones. their voice, tongue, pronunciation is better.
In reply to First post

by Ngô Thị Khánh Hòa 024 -
Native teachers have more advantages than non- native ones. their voice, tongue, pronunciation is beter
In reply to First post

by Vo Thi Thu Ha 074 -
a native speaker or a native teacher, but they also have some disadvantages
In reply to First post

by Ngo Van Hieu 085 -
English as a second language. a non-native who speaks the L1 of her learners can understand their students' speech. We’re used to inaccurate pronunciation.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 091 -
For me, a native teacher is better at teaching pronunciation. The first time learner learns a word is very important, if they mispronounce it, it's difficult to correct. A non- native speaker who speaks the L1 of her learners may understand her students' speech more but a native speaker teach them how to pronounce the words more correctly.
In reply to First post

by Trương thị Hiền 002 -
I think that a native teacher is equipped to teach pronunciation well. However, because native teacher has more advantages about voice, tonge and the habit to pronounce.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thi Phúc 081 -
Native teacher: The big ,obvious of having native teachers is that they know the language . they can speak it fluently and they are able to model its use in a particularly , natural way...
Non-native teacher: Lack of deot informal language use but they may better at teaching than native teacher .They are an example of sucessful language learning and they are more usually more non-native teachers availble...
In brief: the most important factors in your learning E Iis not your teacher , it 's you.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Huyen 095 -
Personally, both native or non native teacher well equipped to teach pronunciation because nowadays there are enough technology to help the teacher to demonstrate in the best way. as long as teacher actually want to help students, they will find out the way to teach well.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Trung Thành 036 -
yes. I agree that a non- native teacher can understand all difficulties that her students have during learning a language.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Trung Thành 036 -
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Hải Hùng 058 -
English as a second language. We know what students are going through and how hard they’re trying.It's might depend on accuracy and fluency.
In my opinion, both native English teachers and non-native English teachers are well- equipped to teach pronunciation. . It’s fair to say that a native teacher, who is highly qualified and experienced, can help students improve all language skills, especially speaking skill. I believe that a non- native teacher with good teaching skills will teach pronunciation as well as a native teacher does.
In reply to First post

by Phan Khac Dong 079 -
The truth is that non-native English teachers are often just as good as native-English speakers—and sometimes they’re better:
For me, there are some advantages of native speakers as teachers that they know how people “naturally” talk.
-First, The big, obvious advantage of having native speakers as teachers is that they know the language. They can speak it fluently, but, more than that, they are usually able to model its use in a particularly natural way.
-Another advantage is that the native speaker can tell you about more than just the language—they can also tell you about their culture.
In reply to Phan Khac Dong 079

by Trần Quốc Nhâm 052 -
In my opinion, both native or non native teacher well equipped to teach pronunciation because nowadays there are enough technology to help the teacher to demonstrate in the best way. they will find out the way to teach well.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Thanh 016 -
In my opinion, both native and non-native teachers are well equipped to teach pronunciation.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 026 -
I think It depends on a person. On the one hand some non-native teachers have better knowledge of grammatical base of the language than native ones. But on the other hand native speakers can provide with better speaking skills.
In reply to First post

by Trần Lệ Hà 057 -
Both are good for students. Ss can hear more clearly if a Non-native teacher says. Ss will be understand what their teacher say and ask, however, native teacher helps Ss pronounce more correctly and Ss can learn language functions from native teacher
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thảo 067 -
In my opinion,both of them are good for students.the sts can learn how to pronounce from the teacher.They will understand what teacher say and ask.they can understand the teacher'voice,accent and tone.
So both of non native and native speaker are well -equiped ro teach pronunciation for students
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thị Hong Tam 082 -
For me, a native teacher is better at teaching pronunciation. The first time learner learns a word is very important, if they mispronounce it, it's difficult to correct. A non- native speaker who speaks the L1 of her learners may understand her students' speech more but a native speaker teach them how to pronounce the words more correctly.
In reply to First post

by Vi Thị Lương 062 -
Giáo viên tiếng Anh như ngôn ngữ thứ hai (ESL) hoặc tiếng Anh như một ngoại ngữ (EFL) có thể hiểu được
bài phát biểu của học sinh ; trên thực tế, đôi khi dường như giáo viên chúng ta có thể hiểu một cách thực tế bất cứ điều gì. Chúng ta đã quen với việc phát âm không chính xác. Chúng tôi biết những gì học sinh
phải trải qua và họ đang cố gắng như thế nào.
Nó có thể phụ thuộc vào độ chính xác và sự trôi chảy.