Teaching idioms

Number of replies: 95
Do you agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study? Why or why not? If they are to be included, what are some of the difficulties that need to be considered? What are some possible solutions?
In reply to First post

Re: Teaching idioms

by Trịnh Thị Mai Dung 042 -
I think we should because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand. so that we teach them by the way translation, or giving situations then the learners do not make confused.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thanh Hải 059 -
depend on the students levels. If they are advanced levels, we should be included in vocabulary study because they can understand the meanings and use the words in the right context . If they are to be included, the students somtimes misunderstand the meaning of the words.We should divide into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Thu Thanh 065 -
In my opinion, it depend on students' levels. If students are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. Thus, we should devide students into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hải 087 -
In my opinion, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. And many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them. In order to make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topic to teach such as : colocations about family or idoms relating body parts, etc.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Hoà 038 -
In my opinion, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. And many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them. In order to make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topic to teach such as : colocations about family or idoms relating body parts, etc.
In reply to First post

by Lương Thị Lê 053 -
I think that it depends on students' levels. If students are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. Thus, we should devide students into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Van 063 -
Yes, I definitely agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new wordds in context exactly. If they are includes, some of difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idoms...To make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using colocations about family or idoms relating body parts.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Khánh Hoà 047 -
Vocabulary knowledge is considered essential in using a foreign language either in spoken or written forms. Therefore, it is common to hear language learners referring to their poor vocabulary knowledge when they fail to produce enough content in writing or speaking. So I think, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study . Because these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new words in context exactly. However, If they are includes, some of difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idioms, The meaning, spelling ...To make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using collocations about family or idioms relating body parts.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hồng 041 -
I think we should because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand. so that we teach them by the way translation, or giving situations then the learners do not make confused.
In reply to First post

by Chu Sỹ Anh 028 -
I think that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study in secondary school. the students in primary school shouldn't because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Nguyệt 061 -
In my opinion, I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary because they are very difficult for students to understand and remember all. And depend on the students levels, teacher should use suitable methods to teach vocabulary.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Hoai 060 -
In my opinion, it depends on students' levels. If they are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. Thus, we should devide students into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Chu Thị Thanh Thủy 037 -
Yes, I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items help students understand the meaning of the vocabulary in context exactly. However , how to remember the collocations, idoms...are not easy to students . Therefore, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using colocations about family , animals .etc...and we should also consider the students' levels to give the best way
In reply to First post

by Dao Thi Ngoc Thuy 066 -
i totally agree the ideas above. the idioms are usually difficult to remember their meaning but I always want my students understand the meaning of idioms in the content of the context. or I ask my students to try their best to learn them by heart
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Hoai 027 -
I totally agree the ideas above.
Because of the collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand and remember the meaning but we can ask our students to try their best to learn them by heart.
In reply to First post

by Hoang Thi Lam 031 -
Someone says that we should be included collocations, idioms and lexical phrases vocabulary study. For me, depend on students' level we teach less or more . The reasons I show below will make clearer about this problem.
Firstly, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are complex words which are not easy to get and remember. While for beginning students if something is too complicated and difficult will make them bored and lazier. Then, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases often appear in passage or essay which more suitable for advanced students who love discovering and hardworking. Lastly, when we intend to teach collocations, idioms and lexical phrases , we often translate or set the scenes which make students easy to remember . Of course, divide students base on their level is necessary.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 026 -
I agree the ideas above.
Because of the collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand and remember the meaning but we can ask our students to try their best to learn them by heart.
In reply to First post

by Đào Thị Hải 033 -
In my opinion, it depends on students' levels. If students are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. Thus, we should devide students into different levels
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Bích Liên 071 -
In my opinion, I agree the ideas above. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. Besides many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them. In order to make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topic to teach such as : colocations about family or idoms relating body parts, ...
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Loc 093 -
According to me, I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because Collocations , idoms and lexical are pretty complex and not easy to get and remember .when we intend to teach collocations, idioms and lexical phrases , we often translate or set the scenes which make students easy to remember . Of course, we divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using colocations about family , animals, body parts .etc...and we should also consider the students' levels to give the best way.
In reply to First post

by nguyễn thị thanh Loan 029 -
For me Collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study in secondary school. the students in primary school shouldn't because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hồng Thuý 005 -
I do not agree because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are complex words which are not easy to get and remember for students in Primary school. But they should be taught in secondary school.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Thanh 016 -
In my opinion, I agree that collocations, idioms, and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary because they are very difficult for students to understand and remember. And depending on the students' levels, teachers should use suitable methods to teach vocabulary.
In reply to First post

by Đoàn Công Lý 090 -
- I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study, because these are essential parts of vocabulay, Ss will have good background to improve their skills (reading, writing).
- hard to remember (long, containing single words with root meaning,..); rarely encounter in daily life, mainly in novels, stories...;
- Antonym/synonym; read short stories, novels; exercises/..; group them in each topic..
In reply to First post

by Ninh Thị Hạnh Phương 007 -
I think that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should not teach in primary school because they are quiet difficult for learners to undestand.They are suitable to study in secondary school.
In reply to First post

by Pham Thi Huong Sen 073 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexcical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they will help students understand the meaning and use the words in the right context. Collocations,idioms and lexical phrases are rather complex and difficult for the learners to understand and remember so teacher should teach them by the way translation or giving situations. Teacher should divide collocations, idioms into different topics.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Huệ 098 -
I think it dedend on the learners' level. If their level is low, it will cause a lot of difficulties for them. They will be depressed because they have to memorize them. However, they are accepted to advanced learners who are eager to discover a lot in reading materials as well as listening ones.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị May 014 -
i think we shouldnot because it is too hard and difficult for the learners, idioms are difficult , the students will misuderstand the meaning of word, sentences.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 099 -
In my opinion, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases in vocabulary study should be included. Because these vocabularies help them know more about context of many conservations. However, it still exists some difficulties that need to be considered. One of the problems is low -level students' receptive ability. With many sophisticated vocabularies, these students can feel so confusing that cause to quality in vocabulary study ,therefore , To make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics .
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Lữ 001 -
In reply to First post

by ĐINH THỊ THU HIỀN 018 -
I think at the beginning level collocations, idioms and lexical phrases shouldn't be included in vocabulary study because they are too difficult for the beginners and make them bored.However, they should be taught at more advanced levels. If they are to be included, the learners sometimes have difficult in learning and remembering them.To help students learn them easily, teacher should divide collocations,idoms into different topics.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thùy Dung 003 -
in my opinion, I completely agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new wordds in context exactly. If they are includes, some of difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idoms...To make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using colocations about family or idoms relating body parts. For example, if you sit down to read a book and you don’t know the vocabulary used, you’ll struggle to understand the meaning of the text. You might end up looking up the words in a dictionary, guessing the meaning of the words from their context, or you might simply give up and find something else to read.
This can be disappointing, disheartening and also shatter your confidence.
In reply to First post

by Trương Thị Chuyên 094 -
Yes, I totally agree with it. Becuase they can enrich the students' knowledge and make their writing and speaking more gripping and less common. However, remembering and using them naturally is not a piece of cake since they are less commonly used in the daily life. If they are to be included, we should put them from simple to complicated in common categories.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Hồng Hong 010 -
I completely agree that collocations, idioms, and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new words in context exactly. If they are includes, some of the difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idioms...To make students learn them easily If they are to be included the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of the words
In reply to First post

by Thái Thị Hạnh 054 -
I agree the ideas above.
In reply to First post

by Trần thị bích liên 013 -
I totally agree the ideas above. Because the collocations,idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for learner to remember.However some good students can understand.so to make learners easy to understand teacher should divide collocations,idioms into differents topics to teach.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thuỷ 086 -
I totally agree that collocations, idioms, and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. It helps to broaden the vocabulary. As a result, the learners have more chance to vary the use of language. The troubles is it is necessary to practice regularly in order not to forget them. Teacher can create opportunities for the learner to use those collocations, idioms ...
In reply to First post

by Đặng Thị Thủy 076 -
In my opinion, I think that it depends on students' levels. If students are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right context. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. So,we should also consider the students' levels to give the best way.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thị Hong Tam 082 -
In my opinion, It is better for educators to include collocations, idiomsand lexical phrases in vocabulary study. Because students always feel challenged to understand them if they don't often appear in materials they study. The most difficulty students meet maybe guess their meaning in contexts. So, depend on the diferent levels, we should introduce them in the topics students feel confident in understanding.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Bích Phương 030 -
It is essential to include collocations, idioms and lexical phrases in vocabulary study. It helps students to build correctly complicated sentences in writings, develop speaking, reading and listening skills comprehensively. They are important because they make your language sound natural. If you master them, your English will be more idiomatic, that is, more similar to the way it is spoken by native speakers. However, most of the learners find it difficult to remember them after a longtime because they are not used commonly, especially idioms. Therefore, I recommend that the teachers should attach them to some fun activities or contexts, which may help students memorize better. Moreover, learners should make sentences after being taught and use them regularly in communication. If learners have time, they can draw mind maps together with pictures about the topic including collocation, idioms and lexical phrases.
In reply to First post

by Lê Văn Thắng 088 -
this depends on the students levels. If they are advanced levels, we should be included in vocabulary study because they can understand the meanings and use the words in the right context . If they are to be included, the students somtimes misunderstand the meaning of the words.We should divide into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Lê Văn Thắng 088 -
this depends on the students levels. If they are advanced levels, we should be included in vocabulary study because they can understand the meanings and use the words in the right context . If they are to be included, the students somtimes misunderstand the meaning of the words.We should divide into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Minh VoThiHong -
I agree with it. Because they can enrich the students' knowledge and make their writing and speaking more gripping and less common. However, remembering and using them naturally is not a piece of cake since they are less commonly used in the daily life. If they are to be included.we should devide students into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Trần Chí Hoàng 077 -
Yes, we should. you know, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they can hepl students not only do the exams but also use them in daily life.
In reply to First post

by NGUYỄN THỊ MINH HẢI 017 -
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Thuy 084 -
For me,collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. And many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them. In order to make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocation in many degree, from simple word to complex word.
In reply to First post

by Xa Thi Xuan 100 -
I agree completely, because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study for the learners to understand the meaning of the vocabulary in context exactly. However , how to remember the collocations, idoms...are not easy to students . So that teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using colocations about family , animals .etc...and we should also consider the students' levels to give the best way
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Ngoc Nhung 004 -
I think that it depends on students' levels. If students are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. Thus, we should devide students into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Thu Hien 080 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be includes in vocabulary. Because they play an important role in a lesson. As we know they are very dificult to get and remember. So we should devide them into different topics such as: family, relationships....
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Hai Yen 068 -
Definitely yes. These fixed impressions will certainly make the learner's English more natural and professional. The difficulty is that they could be hard to understand or used correctly, and the learning process will take time as well. The instructor can teach these collocations based on topic and give certain contexts or authentic material namely articles or films.
In reply to First post

by Lê Thị Giang 006 -
I think they depend on students' level. For beginning students It's difficult and complicated to make them bored. If students are advanced level we should be included in vocabulary study because they often appear in passages or essays.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Hoai Thanh 064 -
I totally agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new wordds in context exactly. If they are includes, some of difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idoms...To make students easily learn and remember, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn văn Thành 089 -
depend on the students levels. If they are advanced levels, we should be included in vocabulary study because they can understand the meanings and use the words in the right context . If they are to be included, the students somtimes misunderstand the meaning of the words.We should divide into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Hoang Van Quy 049 -
Collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they are important to help students understand the meaning of the words in context. However, learners have difficulties in remembering and using all them. Therefore, these collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be taught in context and topic to make students remember easily.
In reply to First post

by Ha Thi Hai Van 070 -
I strongly agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because To understand a text , it is necessary for students to know the meaning of idioms, lexical phrases and collocations , In addition, It is difficult to guess their meaning. In order to make students learn them easily, teachers should give some exercises as matching (collocation/ lexical phrases),.....
In reply to First post

by Hoàng Thị Phương Thuỷ 022 -
Yes. If student are not taught about colloctions, idioms and lexical phrases, it's hard to understand all English context especially in formal settings or in speaking. Obviously, it's challenging to learn collocations, idioms and lexical phrases because students will find struggle to grasp and remember them. They cannot remember them by translating word by word because they are formed in groups and they are long. However, to teach them effectively, after teaching collocations or idioms, teachers should encourage students to make sentences with them to make sure students can apply collocations or idioms in speaking and writing.
In reply to First post

by Phan Thi Trang 023 -
For me, I totally agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they have high connection in each other. For example, if we want to know a meaning of new word that appears in an idiom, we have to understand the meaning of this idiom so that we can know how to use this word in different contexts. However, students can have some struggles in learning collocations, idioms and lexical phrases because of their complication. They might be too difficult for students at beginning levels. Therefore, the teacher should depend on the level of her students to have suitable ways to teach vocabulary for them.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Quyen 096 -
In my opinion, collocations,idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because students can understand The meaning of words or phrases in these situations. It helps students to develop their vocabulary and language in naturally. However they Will have some difficulties because idiom, collocations.... Are quite difficult. When we teach, we can use pictures, video to express the meanings of words or phrases
In reply to First post

by Bùi Văn Như 035 -
I totally agree with it. Becuase they can enrich the students' knowledge and make their writing and speaking more gripping and less common. However, remembering and using them naturally is not a piece of cake since they are less commonly used in the daily life. If they are to be included, we should put them from simple to complicated in common categories.
In reply to First post

by Trinh Thi Hoa Lê 050 -
I agree that phrases,idioms and phrases should be included in vocabulary learning because it healps students easily understand and use words in contexts and can include idioms ,phrases on a variety of topics. Different to help students memorize more easily.
In reply to First post

by Lê Thị Thu 069 -
I strongly agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study for some reasons below:
* Collocations: vocabulary knowledge involves more than just knowing the meaning of a given word in isolation, it also involves knowing the words that tend to co-occur with it. If collocation are not learned, the resulting irregularities will immediately mark the learner's speech or writing as deviant or odd in some ways and as decidedly non-native
* Idioms: It is the unitary meaning of idioms that make them particularly troublesome for second language learners since the meaning cannot normaly be guessed by the meaning of the words that make them up and that is the reason why idioms should be included in vocabulary study
Difficulties that need to be considered: The ability and levels of students
Solutions: Divide the students into groups of different levels so that it is easy for teacher to teach
In reply to First post

by Bui Bich Dao 045 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because without them nothing can be conveyed .Teaching collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are very difficult and challenging process
In reply to First post

by Vo Thi Thu Ha 074 -
In my opinion, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. And many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them. In order to make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topic to teach such as : colocations about family or idoms relating body parts
In reply to First post

by Đường Hải Dung 072 -
Yes, we should. Though they are very difficult for learners to learn such as the complex meaning of words or phreases lead to the learners often confuse. They somtimes misunderstand the meaning of the words. We should divide ss into different levels.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thảo 067 -
we should teach collocations,idioms and lexical phrases in vocabulary study.Although it makes learners have some difficulties, they can use them and understand in context
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Hoài Thu 078 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for students,so
we have explain their meaning carefully and clearly through pictures ....If they are to be included,students will misunderstand the meaning of them.Some possible solutions are deviding students into different topic and different levels.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 091 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they are parts of the language. We use them in everyday conversation and they also appear in the final exam. Students may have some difficulties in remembering the meaning of the idioms so teachers should explain the them in contexts. Teacher should also put the idioms into many categories such as idioms related to color, animal, or part of the body.
In reply to First post

by Trương thị Hiền 002 -
I Think collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items are important and difficult to help students understand the meaning of the new words in real context. If they are includes, some of difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idoms...To make students learn them easily, teachers should discrete slot or integrate in lesson by using colocations about family or idoms relating body parts...
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Chiên 012 -
I agree the ideas above. Because of the collocations, idioms and lexical phrases are difficult for the learners to understand and remember the meaning but we can ask our students to try their best to learn them by heart.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Thuy Dung 021 -
I definitely agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study and they depend on students' level we teach because their difficulty in getting the meanings and remembering. At the beginning levels collocations, idioms and lexical phrases make them bored. It's suitable for advanced students who are interested. To teach them effectively, I think we often set the scenes which make students easy to remember and more divide students base on their level.
In reply to First post

by Thu Trang Hoang -
I think,idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because it is an important part in communication.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Trung Thành 036 -
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Hoai 027 -
Yes, I definitely agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new wordds in context exactly. If they are includes, some of difficulties that need to be considered are how to remember all the collocations, idoms...To make students learn them easily, teachers should divide collocations, idoms into different topics by using colocations about family or idoms relating body parts.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thi Phúc 081 -
-In my opinion, collocations , idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because these items will improve the learners oral fluencyand help them to speak as naturaly as native speakers of English language.
-Difficulties: Not many learners are aware of collocations , idioms and lexical phrases in that they don't know they are exist , what they are and the same can proply be said for many teachers too. There is no apparent reasoning or rule behind them .
- Solutions: Training learners in the use of dictionaries and help them to practise , learn, store , and use them.
In reply to First post

by Mai Đinh -
No, they don't because it can make mistkakes and misuse for users
In reply to First post

by Mai Đinh -
No, they don't because it can make mistakes and misuse for users, I think it should be teach in sitiuation
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Huyen 095 -
absolutely, collocatiobs, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because of avoiding to make students find difficult when learning many vocabularies at the same time. however, there are some difficulties that need to be considered such as being in mixed class with lots of levels as well as being time-consuming. therefore, teacher should set situation when teaching collocations, idioms and lexical phrases.
In reply to First post

by Phan Khac Dong 079 -
In my opinion, I quite agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study Because, these items are important to help students understand the meaning of the new words in context exactly and It helps students familiarize themselves with the idiom sentences.
In reply to First post

by Ho Thi Thang 034 -
In my opinion , it depends on students' levels , if they are advandced level,we should be included in vocabulary study . Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex .If they are tobe included the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary , Thus, we should devide students into different levels
In reply to First post

by Ngo Van Hieu 085 -
In my opinion, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. And many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Ky 083 -
i totally agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because it help Ss to understand more clearly the passage of reading skills. I can suggest some solutions such as each lesson I will give about ten idioms and lexical phrases about colour, animals.... and ask ss to make sentences with them; some times I request Ss to give some idioms they know..
In reply to First post

by Ngo Van Hieu 085 -
In my opinion, collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study. Because most of the tests have collocation, idoms.., learning collocations and idoms is as important as learning ordinary vocabulary. Collocations , idoms and lexical are rather complex. And many students have difficulties in learning and remmembering them.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Hải Hùng 058 -
For me, it depends on students' levels. If students are advanced level, we should be included in vocabulary study. Because they can understand the meaning and use the words in the right contex. If they are to be included, the students sometimes misunderstand the meaning of vocabulary. Thus, we should devide students into different levels.
In reply to Nguyễn Hải Hùng 058

by Trần Quốc Nhâm 052 -
I agree that phrases,idioms and phrases should be included in vocabulary learning because it healps students easily understand and use words in contexts and can include idioms ,phrases on a variety of topics. On the other hand, It can help students memorize more easily.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Ky 083 -
It is evident that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study as it is important and it is included in the national tests. However it is difficult to remembers these collocations . so teachers should practise it everyday and ansk Ss to learn by heart
In reply to First post

by Lê Văn Thắng 088 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexcical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they will help students understand the meaning and use the words in the right context. Collocations,idioms and lexical phrases are rather complex and difficult for the learners to understand and remember so teacher should teach them by the way translation or giving situations. Teacher should divide collocations, idioms into different topics.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Mai 011 -
In my opinion, for the beginners we don't need to teach collocations, idiomd and lexical phrases. We should focus more on pronunciation, stress and intonation. But for the advanced learners they should be included in vocabulary study. Because they appear a lot in reading texts and listening recordings. If they are taught, the students can understand what they are about. But we have some difficulties when teaching collocations, idioms and lexical phrases. They are not the combination of the meaning of every single words. To deal with this, the teacher can teach students to guess the meaning in the context and teach by topic for Ss to remember.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 026 -
In reply to First post

by Trần Lệ Hà 057 -
I agree that collocations, idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary study because they are very difficult for learners. They are used in many tests. They are phrases that their meaning is different from the root. To solve this problem, learners must learn by heart and try to guess in the context.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thảo 067 -
I strongly agree that collocations,idioms and lexical phrases should be included in vocabulary.it helps sts widen their vocabulary so that they can use them in other situations.if sts know and remember more idioms or
phrases they can understand the text better.However,collocations and idioms have a various meanings so it is difficult for the learners to remember
In reply to First post

by Ngô Thị Khánh Hòa 024 -
In reply to First post

by Phạm Thị Thanh Sương 075 -
Idiom is composed of many different words that make up a sentence but does not carry its literal meaning. Idiom is used a lot by native speakers in speaking and writing, so understanding the meaning of Idiom will help you use English much more effectively.