Why has listening been called "the neglected skill"?

Number of replies: 99
Discuss why listening has been called "the neglected skill".
In reply to First post

Re: Why has listening been called "the neglected skill"?

by Nguyễn Thị Hạnh 040 -
Because Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact . These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker .
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hồng 041 -
In my opinion I think Because Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact . These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker .
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Thu Thanh 065 -
I think listening is a difficult skill. And students are lack of vocabulary. So they are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thanh Hải 059 -
I think Listening is one of the most difficult skills, so learners tend to neglect because of the different language barriers which lack of vocabulary, impatience and laziness.
In reply to First post

by Ngo Thi Hoai 009 -
I think listening is one of the most important but difficult skill for the English learners. The reason is the learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge about culture, society, science,etc.
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Van 063 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because It is one of the most difficult skills so students are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Lương Thị Lê 053 -
I think listening is one of the most important but difficult skill for learners. It requires learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge
In reply to First post

by Chu Sỹ Anh 028 -
I think that Listening skill is very difficult. when you listen you will feel worried and confused. you can't hear what people are talking. so you will get bored and don't want to listen any more.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Hoà 038 -
In my opinion I think Because Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact . These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker .
In reply to First post

by Hồ Thị Thương 051 -
Because Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact . These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker .
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Khánh Hoà 047 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglected skill" because listening is our weakest skill. Almost everyone can hear, but few can really listen. Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. People tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening. Few people can achieve understanding the essence of what has been said by a certain speaker because they have not mastered the skills necessary for listening. These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker or what we call non-egocentric pro-social behaviour which is essential on the part of both, the speaker and listener
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Hoai 027 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because It is one of the most difficult skills so students are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Ho Thi Thang 034 -
in my opinion. Listening has been called .the neglected skill because ,listening is our weakest skill
In reply to First post

by Hoang Thi Lam 031 -
Listening is considered as "the neglected skill" because almost everyone can hear but few can really listen. Many people tend to ignore the fine line that seperates the distinction between the natures of passive and active listening. We cannot evaluate others without mastering the ability to clearly communicate our thought and ides.
In reply to First post

by Phạm Xuân Tiến 056 -
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Hoai 060 -
In my opinion, Listening is one of the most difficult skills, so learners tend to neglect because of the different language barriers which lack of vocabulary, impatience and laziness
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Lữ 001 -
I think listening is a difficult skill. And students are lack of vocabulary. So they are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Nguyệt 061 -
In my opinion, listening is a difficult skill because the students lack a lot of vocabulary, so they cannot listen to listening text and understand them. This makes students boring while listening. From that students will neglect.
In reply to First post

by Pham Thi Huong Sen 073 -
I think listening has been called "the neglected skill" because listening is a difficult skill. Almost everyone can hear, but few can really listen. People tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening. Few people can achieve understanding the essence of what has been said by a certain speaker because they have not mastered the skills necessary for listening. These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about.
In reply to First post

by Trần thị bích liên 013 -
Most of students don't like listening because it is very difficult skill.they are not patient to listen.if teachers don't have many skill and methods of listening so the lesson become bored.Beside it lack of vocabulary make sts become lazziness.
In reply to First post

by Trịnh Thị Mai Dung 042 -
In my opinion, because students lack of vocabulary, the speaker's tone is also different from the listener's, and they often speak faster, so it is difficult for learners to keep up with the sequence of speech. Gradually, learners will get bored with listening.
In reply to First post

by Bui Bich Dao 045 -
Listening is the most difficult skill and resultant stress for students. They often express dislike for listening
In reply to First post

by Tran Thi Loc 093 -
In my opinion, listening has been called "the neglected skill" because listening is one of the most important but difficult skill for learners. It requires learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Chiên 012 -
I think that Listening is a difficult skill. Students are lack of vocabulary. It requires Students must have good pronunciation and knowledge about culture, society, science .... So students don not want to listen any more.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hải 087 -
In theory, listening is a selective process of receiving, attending to, understanding, evaluating, and responding. And It is the most used of all communication skills . however, in reality, Listening is the least developed of all communication skills. Because listening skill is one of the most difficult skills in learning language . Most of learners find it hard to improve their listening skill because of many reasons such as : lack of vocabulary, speed speaker, accent, etc. Once learner’s listening skills are not improved very much, they start to refuse to learn or negnect this skill. As a result, Listening has been call “Neglected skill”.
In reply to First post

by Chu Thị Thanh Thủy 037 -
Because listening is a difficult skill . It commands a variety of vocabulary and understand about different language . People can't be patient to do that , so they tend to neglect this skill
In reply to First post

by Dao Thi Ngoc Thuy 066 -
Listening is the most difficult skill . students do not own enough words and grammar to understand the content of the listening so most teachers and students are neglected it
In reply to First post

by Đào Thị Hải 033 -
In my opinion, because many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information.Llearnerstend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barries apart from the dominant fact . These language barries include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spocken about, lack of interest on the speaker.
In reply to First post

by nguyễn thị thanh Loan 029 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because It is one of the most difficult skill so students are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Ông Thị Thúy Hiền 020 -
Listening is most difficult skill for students because they lack of vocabulary ,speed,speaker,accent, etc.To understand about different language.So they start to refuse to learn or neglected this skill
In reply to First post

by Ha Thi Hai Van 070 -
Listening has been called neglected skill because among 4 skills, this skill is the most difficult and they can't understand what is being said. There are some reasons for this, they are "poor vocabulary, lack of skills for listening...."
In reply to First post

by Xa Thi Xuan 100 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because it is one of the most difficult skills for the learners .Because the learners may have many troubles such as can't understand fast natural native- sounding speech beside that they lack of words , so they usually get tired.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 026 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because It is one of the most difficult skill so students are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 099 -
Listening has been called the neglected skill because of the speaker 's accent and poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about .
In reply to First post

by Phạm Thị Thanh Sương 075 -
Learning a foreign language, students face a lot of problems when they listen to it. Therefore, schools or universities pay attention to grammar, reading, and vocabulary. Listening and speaking skills are not significant parts of many books and teachers do not consider these skills in their classes. Stated that listening is not very important for both teachers and students and students learn listening not listening comprehension. Consequently, it remains the most neglected aspect of language teaching
In reply to First post

by Thái Thị Hạnh 054 -
Because listening is one of the most important but difficult skill for learners. It requires learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thảo 067 -
listening is one of the most important skills in learning foreign language but it is also the most difficult skill.It requires learners have good knowledge about vocabulary and pronunciation.
In reply to First post

by NGUYỄN THỊ MINH HẢI 017 -
Listening is considered as "the neglected skill" because almost everyone can hear but few can really listen. Many people tend to ignore the fine line that seperates the distinction between the natures of passive and active listening. We cannot evaluate others without mastering the ability to clearly communicate our thought and ides.
In reply to First post

by Ngo Van Hieu 085 -
Listening is one of the most difficult skills, so learners tend to neglect
In reply to First post

by ĐINH THỊ THU HIỀN 018 -
Listening has been calll " the neglected skill " because it is the most difficult skill for the English learners. It requires learners have good knowledge about vocabulary and pronunciation.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Hồng Thuý 005 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglected skill" because listening is our weakest skill. And it is one of the most difficult skills so students are often impatien when they practice listening .
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Bích Phương 030 -
Listening is a selective process of receiving, attending to, understanding, evaluating, and responding, so it is considered the most difficult skill to students. Although we receive more information by listening than any of the other means of communication - writing, speaking, or reading, listening is our weakest skill/. To overcome the barriers of listening ( distractions, emotional words, uninteresting topics,,,,), we should form listening habits, motivate yourself and create a good environment for listening.
In reply to First post

by Minh VoThiHong -
In my opinion, Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact . These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker .
In reply to Minh VoThiHong

by Trần Quốc Nhâm 052 -
In my opinion, listening is one of the most important skills in learning foreign language but it is also the most difficult skill.It requires learners have good knowledge about vocabulary and pronunciation. They often express dislike for listening
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thuỷ 086 -
The reason is that in listening skill the learners do not need to focus completely on the structure or vocabulary. In fact, what the learners need to gain is the gist. They also a good predicter.
In reply to First post

by Lê Thị Giang 006 -
I think listening has been called " the neglected skill " because it is one of the most difficult skill so the learners must have a good pronounciation , vocabulary and large knowledge.
In reply to First post

by Thái Thị Hạnh 054 -
In my opinion, listening is a difficult skill because the students lack a lot of vocabulary, so they cannot listen to listening text and understand them. This makes students boring while listening.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Hồng Hong 010 -
Most of the students don't like listening because it is a very difficult skill. They are not patient to listen. if teachers don't have many skills and methods of listening so the lesson becomes bored. Besides it lack of vocabulary makes sts become lazy. This makes students boring while listening. From that students will neglect.
In reply to First post

by Trương Thị Chuyên 094 -
I think it is one of the most difficult skills since students are short of vocabulary and grammartical structures so they find it hard to get the information. When students are too weak at listening , teachers seems to get tired of listening lessons.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thùy Dung 003 -
Because listening is considered as "the neglected skill" because almost everyone can hear but few can really listen. Many people tend to ignore the fine line that seperates the distinction between the natures of passive and active listening. We cannot evaluate others without mastering the ability to clearly communicate our thought and ides.
In reply to First post

by Trần Chí Hoàng 077 -
Because it is very difficult skill. they are impatient to listen. The listening lesson often makes student bored. if teachers don't have many skills and good methods.
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Hoai Thanh 064 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because It is one of the most difficult skills and sts are lack of vocabulary, knowledge of pronunciation, culture, social... so students are often impatient, lazy when they practice listening
In reply to First post

by Đường Hải Dung 072 -
For me, listening has been called "the neglected skill" because It is one of the most difficult skills so students are often confused when they listen to a conversation or a passage. So they are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thị Hong Tam 082 -
Because it is difficult for listeners to cover all certain information in listening texts because of their poor vocabulary , the diferences between cultures, custom, the lack of general knowledge of science, culture, society and other language barriers like pronunciation, accent.
In reply to First post

by Trần thị hoà 019 -
Listening is the most difficult skill. the conversation are too fast for the learners catch up with. so they are out of patience to practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị May 014 -
in fact, listening is as important as speaking, Being a good listener helps solve problems, resolve conflicts, and improve relationships. but it is so hard, the learners don't interested in listening skill. you want to be good at listening skill, you need to have large vocabularies, good at grammar, pronunciation....
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Bích Liên 071 -
I think that listening has been called "the neglected skill" because listening is one of the most important but difficult skill for learners. It requires learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge.
In reply to First post

by Hoàng Thị Phương Thuỷ 022 -
There are a variety of reasons why it is called neglected skill. Initially, it's not an easy skill. Students are often taught grammar rather than speaking or listening skill, they have little time to practice listening, making them afraid of listening. On top of that, learners are not good at pronunciation. which may deter them from hearing, listening words accurately. Therefore, they are no longer into this skill and skip it.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Thuy 084 -
In my opinion,the listening skill is very difficult . Students are impatient to listen. lack of the vocabulary so the listening lesson often makes student bored. if teachers don't have many skills and good methods.
In reply to First post

by Đặng Thị Thủy 076 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglected skill" because It is one of the most difficult skills , It requires learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge.So they are often impatient when they practice listening.The listening lesson often makes them bored.
In reply to First post

There are many Listening difficulties such as clustering, redundancy,performance variables, reduced form, colloquial language, rate of delivery, stress, rhytherm, intonation, Interactions. so listening is often neglected in both teaching and learning process
In reply to First post

by Bùi Văn Như 035 -
listening is one of the most important skills in learning foreign language but it is also the most difficult skill. It requires learners have good pronunciation and vocabulary.
In reply to First post

by Trần Thị Hoài Thu 078 -
Listening is difficult for students. Almost students can hear, but few can really listen. Many students fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Listening has been called "the neglected skill" because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Huệ 098 -
Because listening is considered as a neglected art. Almost everyone can hear, but few can really listen. Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to get information. They tend to ignore the fine line that separates the distinction between the natures of passive listening and active listening. In our daily conversation with people, meetings or conferences, and formal classroom set up, listening is believed to be of paramount concern. People tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening. Few people can achieve understanding the essence of what has been said by a certain speaker because they have not mastered the skills necessary for listening. These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker or what we call non-egocentric pro-social behaviour which is essential on the part of both, the speaker and listener.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn văn Thành 089 -
I think listening is a difficult skill. And students are lack of vocabulary and skill .so they cannot listen to listening text and understand them. This makes students boring while listening. From that students will neglect.
In reply to First post

by Lê Thị Thu 069 -
Listening is one of the most difficult skills in language learning. It is considered "the neglected skill" because in the teaching and learning process, some teachers and students are not interested in listening skill. Teachers have difficulty in teaching, students have difficulties in the learning process thus leading to an invisible barrier that prevents this skill from being taught as much as other skills.
In reply to First post

by Mai Đinh -
Because it' so difficult and less time to practise
In reply to First post

by Thu Trang Hoang -
Because We can't hope to lead, motivate, train or evaluate others without mastering the ability to clearly communicate our thoughts and ideas. ... You receive more information by listening than by any of the other means of communication—writing, speaking, or reading
In reply to First post

by Ninh Thị Hạnh Phương 007 -
Listenining is one of the most difficult skill,learners lack of vocabulary and your pronunciaton is not good so listening is considered as a neglected skill
In reply to First post

by Phan Khac Dong 079 -
I think Listening is one of the most difficult skills, because most of students are lack of vocabulary, they are not aware of this important skill and they don’t pay much attention while practicing.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thuỷ 086 -
All we know that listening is a difficult skill because of the clustering, redundancy, reduced forms, performance variables, ect and we have some other reasons to neglect this skill. We tend to believe that a good listener is the one who can listen all the words in a tape. In fact, by applying some strategies, the learners do not have to focus on every details. The learners can be listen unconsciously after a period of time practising listening. That why we call listening a "neglect skill".
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Hai Yen 068 -
Listening skill has not been given proper attention of the teachers in teaching-learning English as a second or foreign language in schools. It also happens in the school researched where the students do not get the chance to train their listening skills because of the unavailability of authentic listening materials at school.
In reply to First post

by Hoang Van Quy 049 -
I think that listening has been called " the neglected skill " because It is a skill which makes listeners feel worried and confused easily. So they will get bored and don't want to listen any more.
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Hải Hùng 058 -
In my opinion, I think listening is one of the most important but difficult skill for the English learners. The reason is the learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge about culture, society, science,etc. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact .
In reply to First post

by Đinh Thị Thanh 016 -
Listening is considered as " the neglected skill" because listening is a difficult skill. It not only requires learners to have good vocabulary, standard pronunciation skills but also requires good grammar knowledge. Listeners will feel anxious and confused when they do not understand what people are talking about. So they get bored and don't want to hear anymore
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Net 039 -
I think listening skill is very difficult for most of students. The students are lack of vocabulary. So they are often impatien when they practice listening.
In reply to First post

by Lê Văn Thắng 088 -
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Ky 083 -
There are some reasons for which listening is called :the neglected skill". first of all, it is not included in the national tests so the students don't learn it. Secondly, it is quite difficult for them to understand what the tape is saying. The learners don't have enough vocabulary, idioms to understand the passage, the dialogue. that why they feel bored with listening. Finally
, learners don't recognize the importance of listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Huyen 095 -
in my view, listening is a challenging skill so it has been called "the neglected skill" .Almost everyone can hear, but few can really listen. People tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening. Few people can achieve understanding the essence of what has been said by a certain speaker because they have not mastered the skills necessary for listening. These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Mai 011 -
In my opinion, listening is dififcult skill so that it has been called "the neglected skill". The students can't hear the words because of their lack of vocabulary. Moreover, we are focusing more on grammar, reading skill for the exam.
In reply to First post

by Vo Thi Thu Ha 074 -
to me, Most of the people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. Learners tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact . These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about, lack of interest on the speaker
In reply to First post

by Le Thi Thuy Dung 021 -
There are some reasons why listening has been called " the neglected skilled". To be honest, it's not an easy skill that needs lots of time to practice regularly. More over, students are almost taught grammar rather than speaking and listening skill so they lack a lot of vocabulary and bad at pronunciation. Which makes students boring while listening.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 091 -
In my opinion, listening has been called " the neglected skill" because it is many people can hear but they rarely listen. Students who lack vocabulary find it hard to listen and they seldom understand the the sound of speech. One more reason is that listening skill is not compulsory in the GCSE exam.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Ngoc Nhung 004 -
I think listening has been called "the neglected skill" because listening is a difficult skill. Almost everyone can hear, but few can really listen. People tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening. Few people can achieve understanding the essence of what has been said by a certain speaker because they have not mastered the skills necessary for listening. These language barriers include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about.
In reply to First post

by Phan Thi Trang 023 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglected skill" because it is considered as the difficult skill to learn. Normally, people become strong in some skills and weak in others. Most of the time, Listening is considered to be a weakness. Listening is considered as a neglected art. Almost everyone can hear, but few can really listen. Many people fail to recognize the art of listening and the value of listening to acquire information. They tend to ignore the fine line that separates the distinction between the natures of passive listening and active listening. In our daily conversation with people, meetings or conferences, and formal classroom set up, listening is believed to be of paramount concern. People tend to neglect the art of listening because of the different language barriers apart from the dominant fact that people are fond of talking rather than listening. Few people can achieve understanding the essence of what has been said by a certain speaker because they have not mastered the skills necessary for listening. Therefore, they tend to ignore this skill.
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Van 026 -
I think Listening is one of the most difficult skills, so learners tend to neglect because of the different language barriers which lack of vocabulary, impatience and laziness.
In reply to First post

by Trần Lệ Hà 057 -
Listening has been called " the neglected skill" because it is one of the most difficult skills that many people have. Many students failed their exam because of this skill. To improve this skill learners have to know many new words, pronounce the words correctly and practice listening regularly.
In reply to First post

I myself sometines neglect the listening skill while i am teaching because the learners do not the habits of listening to the tapes or any foreign language they are learning on the media maybe they lack of the meterial and the documentary for reference so they find listening difficult to practice
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Thu Hien 080 -
Listening has been called " the neglected skill" because listening skill is more difficult than another skills. Ss have a good pronunciation, vocabulary and general knowledge to complete the skill. Many Ss know about the importantance of listening skill but because it isn't included in GCSE . Therefore, they haven't practiced this skill regularly
In reply to First post

Trả lời: Why has listening been called "the neglected skill"?

by Lê Văn Thắng 088 -
In reply to First post

by Nguyễn Thị Thảo 067 -
In my teaching career,sometimes i neglected listening skills because of some reasons
Firstly,listening is one of the most difficult skills in learning foreign language.most of srudents don't have a habit of listening and they don't like it any more.
Secondly,the students can't understand the tape because they are lack of vocabulary,pronunciation and listening skill.so thay are not interested in this lesson
From these reasons above,sometimes we neglected listening skill
In reply to First post

by Nguyen Thi Quyen 096 -
I think listening skill is one of the most difficult skills because sts are lack of vocabulary and native speaker's voice. So they are not patient and try their Best to listen to
In reply to First post

by Trương thị Hiền 002 -
In my opinion, Listening has been called "the neglectec skill" because It is one of the most difficult skills so student The reason is the learners must have a good pronounciation, vocabulary and large knowledge about culture, society, ..many things
In reply to First post

by Ngô Thị Khánh Hòa 024 -
In reply to First post

by Nguyên Công Cần 44 -
I think that Listening skill is very difficult. when you listen you will feel worried and confusedand include poor vocabulary to be able to comprehend what has been spoken about
In reply to First post

by Vi Thị Lương 062 -
Bởi vì nhiều người không nhận ra giá trị của nó, hơn nữa do bất đồng ngôn ngữ, thiếu vốn từ vựng nên người nghe cảm thấy nhàm chán và không quan tâm đến vấn đề này
In reply to First post

by Phạm Thị Nguyệt 097 -
Listening is the most difficult skill and resultant stress for students. They often express dislike for listening